Skip to main content

Lost Legends all ages action comic book from Integrity Comics distributed by Gennewwine. From Allan Angel
        Lost Legends grew out of my need to make a statement about racism, bullying, in the guise of 8 year old kids who gain powers from a comet set in 1978 much like Netflix’s Stranger Things, except written in 2006 and released in 2008 in glorious glossy format. If I remember correctly Roseanne Barr once said that television was where the population learned about moral values or something to that effect, a tool to educate the masses about life. 

    I have done so many genres in this field that I wanted to put out an educational comic book meant for kids. I grew up on socially conscious tv shows since the 70s like Maude, Facts of Life, The Jeffersons, Good Times, Roseanne, Life Goes On, etc. so it was inevitable. I grew up on comic book artist George Perez’s artwork in titles like The New Teen Titans, The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, and numerous cameos in Superman and Batman that set the stage for movies starring Gal Gadot, Henry Cavill, Ben Affleck, Amy Adams, Jason Momoa, Ray Fisher, and Ezra Miller. In the Marvel side actors like Scarlett Johansson, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo, Samuel L. Jackson, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Florence Pugh. 

    I had in mind to draw a comic book where every panel was like a painting and for that to happen, the story would have to be compelling enough. Each panel like a Da Vinci or Van Gogh if you will. How many times had I put my energy into something under the Integrity Comics label, drawing arduously for years only to be disappointed because the story was ultimately not that great- mostly where I positioned myself to work with other writers whose idea of the world was limited. 

    A professor at SJSU started telling enthusiastically in front of class that I was a writer. I felt extremely embarrassed and very much grateful more than flattered because writing was one of the many things I enjoy doing. Forget the fact that I could draw, I was a writer. And that wasn’t the first. I won awards for my writing even in middle school. 

    Looking back at Lost Legends which is available through Etsy under Gennewwine, I realized I underestimated that skillset which I took for granted- the ability to write and emphatize with readers. It takes awhile for artists to realize their own genius. None moreso than myself after reading Lost Legends again after all these years since it was released in 2008 under Integrity Comics. I felt so compelled at the time and confident this would push me into public consciousness that I spent money actually registering it, copyrighting it, printing it in glossy format. 

    Lost Legends is now available thru Etsy @ Gennewwine. I also collaborated with friend Martin Fernandez on Winterland a sci fi adventure set in Antartica involving aliens and hybrids of the World War II era, Star Wars with a mix of Aliens and Terminator basically like Stranger Things except it was released in 2008. Winterland is an adventure comic book from an Army veteran. Enjoy this 2 stories in the comic book/ graphic novel Lost Legends! Go to the Gennewwine Etsy shop @ Gennewwine | Etsy 

ⓒ 2022 Allan Angel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The PokemonGo! Murder Mystery

Things haven't been the same since Chris was stabbed in the face while playing PokemonGo! He used to be buff all over but you can clearly see the effects of the injury. His upper torso lost all its muscles and he gained weight in his stomach. There was a somber mood in the air with a couple of instances here and there where he seems to forget what had happened and make light of the unfortunate turn of events. People keep saying you're lucky you should take advantage of this situation, because the story is broadcast worldwide from Vietnam and to outlets like Telemundo. But the story is more or less than that. At the end of the day, I think Chris really just wants to get back from the abyss of flashbacks, the horror, and get back to the Chris that everyone knows, i.e. The Man, The Myth, The Legend. Chris Perguidi: The Man, The Myth, The Legend I've been in this position myself. This point where someone violates you in a way that it makes you sick to your stomach. I

Chris Perguidi: A new hero must rise!

Someone in boxing class asked me if my friend was coming to class. She’s seen his story in Metro and attended the previous class mentioned in the last blog. She was hoping he was okay and I wanted to reassure her that he was okay so I said, “He’s stronger than you think he is. He’s from Gilroy. He grew up around coyotes and played with them.” And I said all these with a straight face and no one thought to question… “coyotes?” Because the whole thing is just so bizarre, so complicated and it’s…  real! How did these people know Chris? He was stabbed in the face by 2 people, one, a stocky robust man, and another, a woman, in downtown San Jose who thought he was filming them while playing the phenomenon of the moment with more users than either Instagram or Facebook, PokemonGo! To iterate, when someone is stabbed, you're thinking chest, back, but the face?!? That in itself trumps growing up with coyotes and playing with them as a child. Media playing upon media, it’s like a neurot

Chris Perguidi: The Man, the Myth, the Legend

On the eve of my birthday I was trying to meet a deadline on an Erika America comic book. At about 3 AM, I finished the task and sent the PNG files over to my frequent collaborator and friend, Chris Perguidi. Erika Amerika is a character that Chris had me work on when we first met sometime back in 2008. EA is about a super heroine with an American Indian heritage. Since then, we have been working on projects together and have appeared many times in newspapers and television promoting our comic books like Herotown, Erika America, The Baby Warriors, etc. As soon as files were sent to his email, I would usually get a response and within hours or the next day I would get feedback usually in the form of ”Amazing”, “Fantastic”, but for some odd reason… nothing. A day passed and nothing, another day nothing. On the third day, as I opened my Facebook I saw this post (I couldn't get far enough on his FB to retrieve the actual post, but something similar to this about 4 days later):